Alternate title: Here’s how you can kickstart your own film production company!
Like every other startup, starting your own film production house requires meticulous planning. So, before we get rolling, let’s first understand the different types of film production companies or film production houses.
Depending on the varying levels of creative involvement, a production house gets a label. There are three types of production houses basis on the level of their creative involvement-
Type #1, Feature Film Production Companies, involved in pre-production, post-production, legal and a lot more. They build a whole team of on-screen and off-screen talent, writers, musicians, location scouts, etc.
Type#2, Post-Production Companies, responsible for all the editing in the film that paves way to present the finished product on screen. These companies are involved in video editing, special effects, color correction, sound mixing and editing.
Type#3, Animation And SFX Companies, involved in green screen, animation, and special effects of a film. Typically, an animated film is made under an Animation Company banner. A popular example of this type of company is The Walt Disney Company.
Now that you know the three types of film production companies, are you ready to roll?
Lights, Camera, & Action!
Here are the ingredients for starting a successful film production house:
1. Market research: You need to be very clear on what sort of needs you are going to cater to. Are there certain leitmotifs you want to stick to? How does the capital work? Basically know the 5W1H of production before you dive in.
2. Human Resources: Be it Creative Directors or different types of Producers, you need to first hire the whip-smart mavens in order to build your production house. Without these creative minds, your production company will fall flat on its face.
3. Capital (Raw Capital): Working capital is a must. You need to sort your fundings out before you take up any project. Your clients will often delay the payment for your projects. To be on the safer side, you must have your working capital.
4. Website: Branding is as important as any other aspect of your business. You need to express your brand, what it believes in, what it stands for, and other things that define and are in sync with your vision. A smooth user experience is also important to attract clients.
5. New Technological Equipment: It is important to be up to date with the latest technology there is in the field of production. You can rent them if you don't own them. You must know their existence so as to stay ahead of the game.
6. Niche/Theme for Your Projects- According to your resources, you need to define your niche and forte. Be it Digital films or Animation, you need to define and exhibit them on your portfolio i.e., your website.
7. Clients: Last but not the least, clients, without whom your plan wouldn’t exist. Before you make your Budget Book, you need to know what clients you wish to work with. You need to ask, are their goals in alignment with your company’s vision? Are they willing to dare take a risk? How do they help you make an impact? And many other questions.
That’s about it. If you have these seven pointers in place, you can go ahead. For a deeper understanding, you can take guidance from the video here. Get, set, and roll!
Got more points we missed? Tell us in the comments below.
Abhiruchi Jha- You'd often find me reading or writing with copious amounts of coffee in my yellow mug. If you catch me daydreaming, I'm probably weaving a story in my head. When I am not writing, you’d find me painting, watching movies, and capturing moments through pictures, words, and memes.